Obligation to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test or vaccination
Since 1 July 2021 Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Finnish citizens can enter Sweden without negative test proof. All other EU citizens can enter Sweden without a negative test, as long as they provide proof of vaccination or recovery. The new "EU Digital COVID Certificate" can be used as proof of test, vaccination and recovery. All other travelers must continue to provide proof of testing.
Please note that the negative test must not be older than 72 hours for EU citizens and 48 hours for non-EU citizens at the time of entry into Sweden. Please consider accordingly the travel duration of the booked crossing and the arrival time at the port of destination.
The test must be performed by an authorized laboratory. PCR, LAMP and antigen tests are accepted.
+++ Currently, several providers offer the possibility to perform a COVID-19-Test online. Read more +++
The following information must appear on the certificate in order for it to be valid:
- Name of the person who has been tested
- When the test was performed
- Whether the test performed is an antigen, PCR or LAMP test
- The test result
- Issuer of the certificate
The information must be clearly stated in Swedish, English, Norwegian, Danish or French.
The test is already required for check-in.
You do not need to provide proof in the following cases:
- if you are under 18 years old
- if you are a Swedish citizen - a valid passport is mandatory,
- if you are a resident in Sweden - certified with copy from the population register.
More information is available at:
Obligation to provide proof and registration of entry
Since 27 June 2021, the risk classification of some countries has changed, so that when entering Germany, under certain circumstances, there is no longer a testing obligation. Please inform yourself about the classification on the page of the “Robert Koch-Institut”.
Sweden is no longer considered a risk area. Likewise, Latvia is currently not considered a risk area.
Travelers are obliged to contact the appropriate authority before entering the country and, if necessary, indicate the existence of the quarantine obligation. This is done via the digital entry notification at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de. It replaces the previous paper exit card. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to 25,000 Euro.
If you have not been in a risk, high-incidence or virus-variant area in the last 10 days before entering Germany, you do not need to complete the entry declaration.
All passengers from foreign risk areas entering Germany are required to provide proof no later than 48 hours after entry of:
- A negative COVID-19 test or
- A documentation of a fully completed vaccination or
- A medical certificate of a survived infection with the coronavirus at least 21 days and not more than six months ago (proof of immunity).
Vaccinated persons do not require proof of testing. Proof of vaccination / recovery can replace proof of testing. Persons are considered as vaccinated if more than 14 days have passed since the second shot of vaccine has been provided. They must be in possession of a vaccination certificate issued to them.
Healthcare providers for travel certificates in Sweden:
In the following cases, even if you are entering the country from a risk area, you do not need to present a negative Covid-19 test or complete a Digital Entry Application:
- If you have only passed through a risk area and did not have a stopover there,
- if you are only entering the Federal Republic of Germany for transit purposes,
- if you have stayed in a risk area for less than 24 hours in the context of border traffic with neighboring countries or if you are entering the Federal Republic of Germany for up to 24 hours, or
- if you are entering the Federal Republic of Germany for work-related reasons in order to transport people, goods or merchandise across borders by road, rail, ship or plane.
If you have been in a risk area prior to entry, you are required to self-isolate for 10 days immediately upon entry. The quarantine may be terminated early if proof of recovery, proof of vaccination, or negative test results are submitted through the entry portal at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de.